Blame it on computers. That’s what’s causing many of us––especially our kids––to spend most of our day indoors, sitting on the couch under artificial light staring at a screen. We know it’s not good for us, but we seem powerless to do anything about it because the pull of technology is just too great. Well, it’s about time we got tougher on ourselves. The benefits of getting back to nature are too great to ignore. Here are four reasons why you need to get yourself out there:
- The Sun’s Benefits – The sun is vital to your health and well-being. The sun not only warms you up––it helps your body to manufacture Vitamin D, which is essential for bolstering your immunity and keeping serious diseases at bay.
- Fresh Air – All of that technology is seeping dangerous gases into the indoor environment, each of which is ending up inside your body. It’s vital that we regularly get outside and fill our lungs with some fresh air. Doing so will make us more alert, help clear the lungs, and get us away from harmful toxins in the atmosphere. A daily walk around the block is a great first step toward getting more fresh air.
- Quiet Solitude – Getting away from the rat race for an hour or so is amazingly refreshing. Being able to listen to nature––the sound of a rushing stream, the song of birds in the bush, and the rustle of leaves as you brush past–– provides a therapy that no amount of Prozac can ever duplicate.
- The Emotional Benefits – People who spend time outdoors feel more relaxed and have lower blood pressure, increased self-esteem, and more self-confidence and patience: all are benefits of increased outdoor time, as shown by a number of studies.
The word naturopathy simply means nature cure. The overarching aim of naturopathy is to treat the person
rather than the illness. In contrast to modern pharmaceutical medicine, naturopathic treatment works very hard not to suppress the immune system. The focus, then, is on treating the root cause of a problem rather than focusing on treating the symptoms. By turning the tap off at the source, all associated problems will dry up.
The human body is an amazingly complex system of cells. Healthy cells equate to healthy tissue, which leads to healthy organs, a healthy system and a healthy physical body. You can only be as healthy as the most unhealthy cell in your body. Similarly, adequate nutrition and adequate waste removal will result in a healthy body. The following 3 concepts underpin a naturopathic approach to wellness:
- All forms of disease are due to the same cause––that is, the accumulation in the system of waste materials and the body refuse accumulating slowly due to wrong habits of living: wrong nutrition, nervous exhaustion, excesses and abuses of all kinds, and improper care of the body.
For example: All acute diseases, like fevers, colds, diarrhea, eczema, inflammation, are the body’s attempt of getting rid of waste material. All chronic diseases, like heart disease and diabetes, are a suppression of symptoms by drugs, avoidance, and neglect
- The body is always striving for the ultimate good of the individual, no matter how ill-treated it may be.
- The power to cure lies within the body itself. The body has within it the power to bring about a return to health given the right conditions.
Naturopathy is an umbrella term that covers a range of natural treatments. These include:
- Herbal medicine
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation
- Changing diet and lifestyle
- Massage therapy
The overarching principle of naturopathy is the healing power of nature. There are two aspects to the healing power of nature:
- The power of nature to regenerate itself. Any system, given the ability, along with the vital nutrients it needs, will heal itself if allowed to do so.
- The destructive power of nature. Breakdown, rot, decay, waste products: all are examples of catabolism. Yet, from these processes, new growth originates
Each treatment plan that a naturopath formulates is individually tailor-made. This means that a large part of the job of a naturopath is to teach the patient in order that they are better able to work with, rather than against, their body. By learning how to recognize the early warning signs of imbalance, a person will be able to act promptly in order to avoid a more serious problem from developing.
Fortify your body’s natural defense system with Vitality C
from American Nutriceuticals.